Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Mission: Pancakes.

Result: Fail.
I had decided to take a break from my usual oatmeal or granola breakfast, after all, it was New Years Eve and I should change it up a bit. So even though I already had a recipe for pancakes that tastes fairly good, I leafed through the seven different vegan cookbooks I rented out from the library and decided on a basic pancake recipe from How It All Vegan. 2 cups flour, 2 cups soymilk, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder, and 1 tbsp oil later, I had a thick lumpy bland batch of pancakes. They tasted like plain popcorn blended up with a bit of milk. In an attempt to make it sweeter I added some sweetened coconut milk I had made the night before for some mango sticky rice. That made it a bit better but not much. I ate a few but ended up throwing the rest away.
Danielle, my new roommate said they tasted alright, but I think that’s just because she moved in 2 days before and didn’t want to hurt my feelings even though I told her I would be experimenting with a lot of recipes and it wouldn't offend me if she didn’t eat anything she didn’t like and I would appreciate her honest opionion.

A few days later, however, Danielle picked out a recipe from Vegan Express that turned out delicious. Cant remember the name exactly but something like Thai Coconut Corn Curry Soup. So Yummy and so quick! Definitely going to be made on a weekly basis for school lunches! (Thinking about cooking my way through this cookbook, so good!)

Also made a FANTASTIC little concoction from Vegan Lunch Box called Chickpea Salad. Phenomenal.
Make it, its so easy and so delicious. I add chopped tomatoes and stuffed it in a whole wheat pita with fresh spinach. I cant get over the deliciousness of it. Tastegasim for sure!

In other news, I've started school. Only on the second day and I LOVE it! Its keeping me incredibly busy however so dont get used to me actually posting things ;)
And still no internet :( How ever will I survive?!

No comments: